Normally, I hate New Year’s Eve. Everything is expensive, transportation is a nightmare, and 99% of the time I end up wishing I had stayed home. But I can’t wait for it to roll around this year, even though I have nothing planned, just because I’m so glad this year is ending.
Weirdly, I had been excited for 2014 – honestly mostly because I prefer even numbers – but instead, it was probably the worst year of my life. The details are pretty irrelevant but it kind of felt like things were shitty wall to wall for a while, especially the second half of the year. While of course it could always be worse, part of me wouldn’t even mind skipping over the holidays entirely just to get to 2015.
One silver lining is that I actually am feeling kind of optimistic about this next year, and I’m usually a hopeless pessimist. Having to deal with a bunch of bullshit this year has led me to make some really big, positive changes in my life, which is definitely a nice starting point. I traditionally make a list of resolutions every year and so I thought I’d share them here so I can keep this trend of positivity going.
- Actually keep up with this millionth attempt at blogging
- Get a physical for the first time since I was 18 and told I could no longer see my pediatrician
- Finally finish reading Ulysses since I know no one thinks I ever will
- Watch at least the first 10 films from AFI’s 100 Year’s… 100 Movies list
- Pay off at least one of my credit cards
- Start taking pictures regularly again, even if it’s just using my phone
- Continue to purge terrible people from my life because I have neither the time nor patience for that nonsense anymore
I looked at my resolutions from last year and the only two I accomplished were to quit smoking and work out on a regular basis. The former was a massive accomplishment (I’d been at close to a pack a day for nearly a decade). The latter might be a stretch, but I’d say once a week is “regularly”, and probably better than going every day and then not at all. So I’d like to continue doing those things as well.