I’m so glad that stupid year is over.
I’m not really a fan of New Year’s as a holiday (although I did actually enjoy the party I went to this year), but normally I love the idea of starting ~fresh~ at the beginning of the year. In fact, I usually love it so much that I will wait to begin new, positive habits until the beginning of at least a new month. For some reason, this year I’m just pissed off and mad. Maybe it’s because I’m stressed with large work projects that won’t be finished up until next week, or maybe it’s due to some frustrations in my personal life, but I have never been so happy to see a year end, even though there were a lot of good parts of it.
I know a lot of people hate resolutions, but I also usually love those. They involve two things I truly enjoy — making lists and fantasizing about how wonderful of an adult I will absolutely not turn into over the course of the new year. So, in an effort to snap myself out of my funk, I’ll go ahead and list them here — if only to look at them next year and laugh at my fruitless idealism.
Shit I Will Almost Definitely Not Accomplish in 2014
- Quit smoking real cigarettes (I will allow e-cigs)
- Work out regularly so my gym membership isn’t a total waste
- Finally finish the worst goddamn book in the world (Ulysses) so I can take an honest crack at Modern Library’s Top 100 Novels list
- While I’m making resolutions about lists, I would also like to start watching AFI’s 100 Years… 100 Movies list
- Pay off my credit card debt (almost certain not to happen unless I win the lottery, oops)
- Write at least 2-3 blog posts a month — if I can’t manage this I need to give up on blogging finally I think
- Take a photo a day
I guess we’ll see how it goes. I hope the maybe one person who reads this had a great New Year! If I can stick to my resolutions, I’ll actually be posting more than once every other month, so hopefully I’ll be back sometime later in January.